Sr. La Verne Hincks, fmm
Sr. LaVerne Hincks entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on September 18, 1945 at North Providence, RI. Her name in religious life was Mary of St. John Berchmans. She continues to be known by the name of John.
After pronouncing her first vows on March 19, 1948, she began studies at Emmanuel College in Boston and graduated in 1952 with a B.A. Major in Chemistry.
Sr. John pronounced her final vows on March 19, 1951. Her ministry until 1953 was community service in St. Clement’s Eucharistic Shrine in Boston. In 1953, she was sent in mission to Moratuwa, Sri Lanka where she served as a teacher and was also in charge of the maintenance workers until 1969.
Sister Mary (Nancy) Cabral, fmm
Sister Mary (Nancy) Cabral entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in 1985 in Chicago, IL. During her novitiate, she ministered to abused women in Good Shepherd House. During the summer she worked with the migrant workers in North Carolina. Nancy pronounced her First Vows in 1988 and was sent to the Pre-novitiate house in St. Jerome's Parish to attend the Lay Ministry Course of the Archdioceseof Chicago and to attend Harry S. Truman Community College where she studied for her Associate's Degree. She was the editor of the college paper and served one year on the Community College Board of Chicago. During this time she went to the Young Religious Meetings in Peru, Mexico and Canada.
Sister Anne Kelly, fmm
Sister Anne Kelly entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on September 18, 1950 at the age of seventeen. After pronouncing her first vows on March 19, 1953, she obtained her Bachelor’s degree in 1957 from Emmanuel College with a major in Mathematics. She pronounced her final vows on March 19, 1956 and was sent in mission to St. Anthony’s Community in Fall River, MA. Where Sr. Anne taught the fourth grade at Espiritu Santo School for one year.
In July l958, Sr. Anne was sent to Rome where after one month, was missioned to Pakistan where she spent nine years as a Professor of English in Nazareth College in Hyderabad.
Sister Frances Milano, fmm entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary Sept. 18, 1951 in North Providence. She pronounced her First Vows March 19, 1954 and her Final Vows March 19, 1957. Prior to her entry she had work experience as a receptionist and aide to a veterinarian and 8 1/2 years as clerk/teletype operator and relief manager for The Western Union Telegraph Company. This latter job entailed extensive travel throughout the United States. After she received “God’s Call”, prior to entering at Fruit Hill, Frances went on a Holy Year pilgrimage to several western European countries.
Her first mission sending was to San Francisco where she was bursar, librarian and the supervisor of young women residents. Frances was missioned to Peru and set sail in February 1958. lquitos on the Amazon was the site of her first work in Peru, teaching English. Later, she was sent to Chile, San Vicente de Tagua Tagua, where she filled a number of positions: English teacher, commissioner, bookstore clerk, and Novice Mistress. Throughout her religious life, Frances has served in various ministries: community and provincial leadership, novice directress, translator, hospital volunteer. Sent in mission to Holy Family Community in North Providence, she serves in community service wherever there is a need.
Sr. Anna Tarnauskas, fmm
Sr. Anna Tarnauskas entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on March 14, 1951 in North Providence, RI. Prior to her entering the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, she had completed her studies in Mercy School of Nursing and qualified as a registered nurse. After pronouncing her first vows on September 17, 1953, Sr. Ann was sent in mission to St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn, LI. serving as a staff nurse there until 1967. She pronounced her final vows on September 17, 1956. Throughout her religious life her ministry has been that of nursing in various health care settings both in Africa and in the United States.
Sr. Helen Mary Riordan, fmm, entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on September 16, 1946 in Holy Family Novitiate North Providence. She made her first vows on March 19, 1949, and her final vows on March 19, 1952 in Holy Family Chapel, North Providence. After completing studies in nursing, she was sent in mission to St. Francis Sanatorium in Roslyn where she cared for children with rheumatic fever. She served by nursing in the Franciscan Hospital for Children, formerly called Kennedy Memorial Hospital, Brighton, Ma., the FMM Nursing Center and Fruit Hill Day Center for Elderly. Later, her ministry was receptionist and doing other community services in St. Francis Convent, Roslyn, NY. At present, her ministry at Fruit Hill is intercessory prayer for the Church and the world, and occasionally writing to her legislators about matters of concern.