Sr. Helen Mary Riordan, fmm, entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on September 16, 1946 in Holy Family Novitiate North Providence. She made her first vows on March 19, 1949, and her final vows on March 19, 1952 in Holy Family Chapel, North Providence. After completing studies in nursing, she was sent in mission to St. Francis Sanatorium in Roslyn where she cared for children with rheumatic fever. She served by nursing in the Franciscan Hospital for Children, formerly called Kennedy Memorial Hospital, Brighton, Ma., the FMM Nursing Center and Fruit Hill Day Center for Elderly. Later, her ministry was receptionist and doing other community services in St. Francis Convent, Roslyn, NY. At present, her ministry at Fruit Hill is intercessory prayer for the Church and the world, and occasionally writing to her legislators about matters of concern.
Sister Claudette Simard followed her childhood yearning for religious life and was directed to the Institute of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary by a friend of Sister Liephard, fmm. She entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in North Providence on September 1951. She pronounced her First Vows in 1954 and her Final Vows March 19, 1957. Most of her ministries have been in nursing with other ministries in St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, NY, Kennedy Memorial Hospital In Brighton, MA, Fruit Hill Day Program for Elderly and the Franciscan Missionary of Mary Nursing Facility and Director of the Freewheelers of RI. Presently she serves as assistant in the Province Development Office in North Providence.
Sister Rose Marie Brooks, fmm
Sister Rose Marie Brooks entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in 1985 in Chicago, IL. She pronounced her final vows October 4, 1992 in Fall River at St. Stanislaus Parish.
Prior to her entry into the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, she graduated from St. Joseph's as an RN and worked for five years in Rhode Island Hospital Surgical Intensive Care Unit, then six more years in Charlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River, MA.
In 1986, she was sent in mission to St. Francis Hospital where she served as a staff nurse and completed studies earning a B.S. in Nursing from Molloy College. In 1993, she was sent in mission to Bushulo , Ethiopia.
Sr. Rosemary Rita Freda, fmm
Sister Rosemary Rita Freda entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on September 15, 1962 and pronounced her Final Vows on March 19, 1970 in N. Providence, R.I. Since she was an RN with a Baccalaureate degree prior to her entry, Sister was sent in mission in 1964 to Kennedy Memorial Hospital, now called Franciscan Hospital for Children in Brighton, Ma. She then worked full time as a Visiting Nurse with the Boston VNA while studying and obtaining a Master’s degree in Public Health Nursing. In 1972, she was sent in mission to Australia where she studied Midwifery and then served as a Nurse Midwife in Papua New Guinea. Missioned back to the United States in 1976, Sister served as a nurse in the F.M.M. Nursing Facility and as the local coordinator of her community. After completing graduate studies in Theology, she served as a hospital chaplain at hospitals in Fall River and Chicago. She served as a pastoral associate in a parish in San Francisco. Presently, Sister is ministering in Community service and in prayer for the Church and for the world.
Sr. Anna Tarnauskas, fmm
Sr. Anna Tarnauskas entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary on March 14, 1951 in North Providence, RI. Prior to her entering the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, she had completed her studies in Mercy School of Nursing and qualified as a registered nurse. After pronouncing her first vows on September 17, 1953, Sr. Ann was sent in mission to St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn, LI. serving as a staff nurse there until 1967. She pronounced her final vows on September 17, 1956. Throughout her religious life her ministry has been that of nursing in various health care settings both in Africa and in the United States.
Sister Elfriede M. Jackson, fmm
Sister Elfriede M. Jackson, fmm was born in River Cess Country, Liberia, She entered the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary September 15, 1960 in North Providence as there was no novitiate in Liberia. She pronounced her final vows in Monrovia in 1966. She was sent in mission to Jirapa Hospital in Ghana to study nursing and then returned to Sanaquillie, Liberia to run a clinic. Sent in mission to Coldash, England, she served as a community nurse. She was member of a team of Franciscan Missionaries of Mary who started the Coldash Retreat Center. Then, she was sent in mission to Liberia to organize and open a retreat center. During the Liberian civil she was sent to the United States where she served as a member of the novitiate formation team. Presently, she resides in Trinity Community in North Providence where she assists in the FMM Assisted Living Residence and the Fruit Hill Day Program for Elderly.